Southport, North Carolina Divorce Attorneys

Illness, job loss, or geographical relocation can impact child and spousal support payments, as well as child custody and visitation arrangements. Since a divorce settlement is a legally binding court order, it's necessary to officially modify its terms if you are no longer able to comply with them. Failure to do so, could result in being found in contempt, subjecting you to fines and even jail. At the law office of Stiller Law, our attorneys prepare and process post-divorce modifications for people who can no longer adhere to the terms of their divorce settlement. If you are sick or out of work, our lawyers can help you collect the necessary documentation and financial information the court will need to review before modifying your child support or alimony payments. If you are the custodial parent and are no longer bringing the same monthly income you did when your divorce settlement was finalized, you can request the court to modify your ex-spouse's child support and spousal maintenance payments as well.

If you need a post-divorce modification, contact divorce attorneys at the law office of Stiller Law today to learn how we can help you.

Why do I need a Lawyer - My Ex is Okay with Me Paying Less

Too often, couples that are on good terms with each other make the mistake of reaching an oral agreement without getting a post-divorce modification from the court. In doing so, they expose themselves to a contempt of court order, fines, wage garnishment, and jail. Additionally, while you may be on good terms with your ex-spouse for the moment, once he or she fails to live up to your agreement or decides to initiate an enforcement action, you'll be answerable for deviating from the terms of your divorce agreement.

Geographical Relocations and Post-Divorce Modifications

If relocating to another town, city, or state will disrupt current custody arrangements or visitation schedules, a post-divorce modification is necessary. If you are moving far enough away to make weekly visits difficult or impossible, the court will need to reevaluate how to divide holiday and summer vacation time

with your children and ex-spouse. Typically, if the move involves a substantial distance, the court may require that you reach an agreement regarding school holidays and summer vacation, making it mandatory for your ex-spouse to have longer, extended visitation with your children.

Contact Post-Divorce Modification Attorneys at Stiller Law

It's important to understand what you and your children's rights are in post- divorce modifications. At Stiller Law, we can evaluate your financial, health, and work situation to determine what sorts of modifications are necessary. To protect your rights and interests, contact post-divorce modification attorneys at Stiller Law today.